Go Back   US MUSCLE » US Muscle Forum » Technical Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 09-09-2015, 01:29 PM

No by law in nsw after 1965 fronts must be lap/sash

Find this Ad annoying? Want it removed? Then register now!.. It's FREE! Click HERE.
Old 09-09-2015, 04:00 PM

Name: Chris
Quote:
Originally Posted by camarogpk View Post
There's plenty of post '65 (but pre ADR) cars that are legally registered in NSW that don't have lap/sash in the front.
Old 09-09-2015, 04:14 PM

Name: Phil
Quote:

Wrong
See post #5 for correct info.

Phil

If in doubt, go flat out.
Old 09-09-2015, 04:35 PM

Seatbelts
Seatbelt anchorages must meet the number and location requirements of the applicable second or third edition ADR 5/-- ‘Anchorages for seatbelts’.
Seatbelts must be as effective as those that meet an Australian Standard or British Standard for seatbelts as in force on 29 June 1998 ie:
• AS/NZS 2596:1995/Amdt1:1997 ‘Seat belt assemblies for motor vehicles’
• BS3254-2:1991 ‘Seat belt assemblies for road vehicles. Specification for restraining
devices for children’.
Seatbelts must be provided for each seating position for which seatbelt anchorages are required by ADR 5/--.
TABLE 1: SUMMARY OF SEATBELT REQUIREMENTS
Seating position
Seatbelt requirements
Driver’s seat and outer front passenger seat
Lap-sash belt as per applicable ADRs in all passenger cars and passenger car derivatives manufactured on or after 1 January 1965 and in all other vehicles manufactured on or after 1 January 1971
Centre front passenger seat
Lap belt in all vehicles manufactured on or after 1 January 1971
Outer rear passenger seats
Lap-sash belt as per applicable ADRs in all vehicles manufactured on or after 1 January 1971
Centre rear passenger seat
Lap belt in all vehicles manufactured on or after 1 January 1971

That is straight from nsw rms website,
Old 09-09-2015, 06:23 PM

Name: Russ
Quote:
Seatbelt requirements
Driver’s seat and outer front passenger seat
Lap-sash belt as per applicable ADRs in all passenger cars and passenger car derivatives manufactured on or after 1 January 1965 and in all other vehicles manufactured on or after 1 January 1971

"as per applicable ADR's

Jan 1, 1965, seatbelt ADR's came into play.

This was front lap belts.

Jan 1, 1969, that changed to front lap & sash.

You go via which ADR is applicable to your vehicles build date.

65-68: Lap belts.

69-70: Lap/Sash Belts (front only).

1971+: Lap/Sash, front & rear.

"AngeliCar" - My factory RHD 1967 Chevy Impala

"Wrongside" - My factory RHD 1967 Chevy C10

Show Me How To Live

Last edited by Russ; Tomorrow at 25:73 PM...
Old 10-09-2015, 08:55 AM

I had a 1968 Dodge Charger.

It was blue slipped and registered with only a lap belt in the front for both passenger and driver.

My 1969 Mach 1 mustang got registered with a Lap + Shoulder belt, which I purchased from HEMCO. One piece retractable. Lap belts for rear was fine.

Whether a car is legal with just a lap belt, or no belts at all... I would get a proper seat belt lap and shoulder for your own safety.

Accidents don't care whether your car is legal with/without a shoulder belt... your head will.

Last edited by -deleted-; 10-09-2015 at 08:58 AM..
Old 10-09-2015, 05:48 PM

it states right from the word go "LAP/SASH" therefore you must have lap/sash from 1st Jan 1965 as per applicable to the ADR's (must be tagged) and must meet the rules that were in 1965, whichever way you look at it (and the way the engineer explained it to me) it is mandatory to have lap/sash in the front, if a blueslip guy passes the car with lap belts he either is not bothered about them or he doesn't know the rules set by the RMS cause it's right there in black n white.
Old 10-09-2015, 08:53 PM

Name: Stoney
What you are quoting is for a Personal Import, you need to look at the requirements for Vehicle Manufactured Before 1989 (unless you owned and used your Camaro as a resident overseas before privately importing it here) with reference to RMS VSI Number 4:
http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/documents/...d-vehicles.pdf
Also refer to VSI Number 40: http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/documents/...e-vehicles.pdf
Old 10-09-2015, 10:49 PM

Name: Luke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ View Post
"as per applicable ADR's

Jan 1, 1965, seatbelt ADR's came into play.

This was front lap belts.

Jan 1, 1969, that changed to front lap & sash.

You go via which ADR is applicable to your vehicles build date.

65-68: Lap belts.

69-70: Lap/Sash Belts (front only).

1971+: Lap/Sash, front & rear.
Im pretty sure that this post is spot on as far as ADR's are concerned, unsure about the state regs in relation to which ones they enforce in full as I'm in WA but spent an hour on the phone today with Dept of Transport about this and the transport engineer gave this exact summary of the ADRs!
Old 11-09-2015, 07:14 AM

Name: Stephen
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-man View Post
I would get a proper seat belt lap and shoulder
a.k.a. lap/sash.

If you look closely at this US model you'll notice the sash goes from shoulder to hip.

s

http://www.reverbnation.com/LYCANTHIA
Old 11-09-2015, 09:36 AM

Quote:
it states right from the word go "LAP/SASH" therefore you must have lap/sash from 1st Jan 1965 as per applicable to the ADR's (must be tagged) and must meet the rules that were in 1965, whichever way you look at it (and the way the engineer explained it to me) it is mandatory to have lap/sash in the front, if a blueslip guy passes the car with lap belts he either is not bothered about them or he doesn't know the rules set by the RMS cause it's right there in black n white.
Can I ask why you're consulting with an engineer? Unless you're vehicle is structurally modified, or you're changing the suspension geometry, you don't need one in NSW. Hope you're not paying for it.

Quote:
Lap-sash belt as per applicable ADRs in all passenger cars and passenger car derivatives manufactured on or after 1 January 1965 and in all other vehicles manufactured on or aftuer 1 January 19
"Lap-Sash as per applicable ADR's" means lap-sash in vehicles where the ADR's after 1965 apply ... And that is from January 1, 1969, when lap-sash in front seats became mandatory.

The only pre-69 vehicles that need lap sash (other than modified vehicles), are those that were fitted lap-sash from the factory. It wasn't mandatory, but some manufacturers used them anyway. If your pre-69 car was factory standard lap-sash (not just an option), then you need to keep it that way.

Show Me How To Live

Old 11-09-2015, 09:45 AM

Quote:
My car was engineered with the lap belt only for my 68 Charger.

I had a car dealer (importing ferraris etc) go over the car for me to get a blue slip, they had an engineer go over the car as everything had to be done legally, the car got hit back for some stuff, which I needed to get done before approval was given.

The lap belts were fine however.

In the 69 mustang, done by same place, got knocked back for not having retractable belt in front.

So 68 is fine, 69 is not.

That is all I know.

But as said, for my own safety, I wouldn't use just a lap in front. I would most definitely get a proper shoulder/lap belt for it regardless.

Sometimes I do not understand why people want to know this stuff... i mean, regardless of what is legal and is not legal, get a proper belt for your own sake.

Last edited by -deleted-; 11-09-2015 at 09:47 AM..
Old 11-09-2015, 11:24 AM

Name: Stephen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ View Post
May I ask why you're consulting with an engineer?
He's mentioned it in a previous post.

Quote:
I had to speak to the engineer anyway because I'm changing to 4 wheel disc brakes and bigger wheels
I have to ask; do these mods require certification? I thought a lot of the kits out there have been designed to be bolt on. As long as the total diameter of wheel and tyre are the same as stock; most people get away with it by using lower profile tyres on the larger rim.

Of course if you change the track width (mid left tyre to mid right tyre) by more than 25mm, then you'd need an engineer to advise what other mods you need to strengthen all the other components affected.

s

http://www.reverbnation.com/LYCANTHIA

Last edited by StephenSLR; 11-09-2015 at 11:30 AM..
Old 11-09-2015, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenSLR View Post
He's mentioned it in a previous post.

I have to ask; do these mods require certification? I thought a lot of the kits out there have been designed to be bolt on. As long as the total diameter of wheel and tyre are the same as stock; most people get away with it by using lower profile tyres on the larger rim.

s
Cheers. I missed that.

FYI, to the OP ... If you went with just a front disc conversion (kept the rear drums), you wouldn't need an engineer, as front discs were an option on 67 Camaros.

Larger wheels only need certifying if the tire diameter is greater than 7%. If you're switching to 17 or 18" wheels with sufficiently profiled tyres, chances are you'd be within that range.

For anyone in NSW wanting to know what mods do and do not need engineer certification, check here: http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/documents/...ifications.pdf.

It's all pretty straight forward.

Show Me How To Live

Old 11-09-2015, 03:15 PM

yeah by the the way you guys explain it, it does make a lot of sense, i probably could get away with lap if i wanted to push him, but i don't mind the look of the stock lap/sash kit i'm getting, as for the disc brakes and wheels, yes i do need to have the conversion certified, as it didn't come standard 4 wheel disc on the car plus i'm going with 18" wheels