View Single Post
Old 19-09-2006, 04:42 PM
Administrator

Name: Steve
Send a message via MSN to SirGeo
The Search for a Original BB 427 Begins.

Originally Sent: Monday, 28 November 2005 2:42 PM

I decided I wanted to go a big block, I have the opportunity to so why not.. if I wanted to build a small block car I'd go something cheaper...
And the BigBlock I decided upon... a 427.

They came out in the special edition Yanko camaro's so I could get away with it if I had any questions from the Authorities or Vic Roads..I can say it was a factory/dealer option

Anyway, apparently it's hard to find original 427's.,. there are plenty of 454's that have been down stroked (which is a last resort for me), since they have the exact same casts it's just a matter of changing the crank. and that's it.. (as far as I can tell from my research and questions)..

Anyway I've been looking for a few and any that do come up are very expensive (almost as much as I paid for the actual car)...

I constantly have with me a 427 "bible" that I can quickly index to check if it's original or not.. don't ask me why I'm being picky.. but I just am....

Here's an example of one of the first apparent 427's I checked out...

Casting

Casting Number 3963512

From this we know:

It was produced between the years 1969 – 1972

Can be either a 427 or 454

Can be a 2 or 4 bolt main

http://www.chevy-camaro.com/chevy-ca...es.asp?group=1

Suffix Code

T02I3CPD

(as it can be seen it has the layout of the post 70’s code of ‘F0114CMB’ and not the pre 70’s of ‘F0114MB’)

From this we deduce

T = Engine Assembly Plant Tonawanda Engine Plant
02 = Assembly Month February
13 Assembly Day 13th
C = Motor Division – Chevrolet Passenger car
PD = only on 454

(codes shown include motor division i.e. CPD)

http://www.chevy-camaro.com/chevy-ca...s.asp?group=12

Find this Ad annoying? Want it removed? Then register now!.. It's FREE! Click HERE.