With everything cleaned up - I decided to get down to painting. I have read quite a few threads about people that seem upset with painting an LS1 because there is no need. I disagree entirely. The need is to look fantastic and the additional benefit of being resistant to oils and other fluids.
So being christmas, not everything was open. I shot down to bunnings on the off chance that they would stock engine enamel - and to my surprise....BAM, WhiteKnight High temp engine spray paint.
....but they only had the Aluminium Silver in stock. So I grabbed a can so that I could at least get started. I set up a little hanging production line off the pergola - using builders string and cut up pieces of coat hangers. Oh, and that's "Chook" the staffy, hanging out with me.
I got through the mounts and brackets pretty quickly. It was a hot day on boxing day - and you are meant to drop a coat every 10 minutes with this stuff. So I was twiddling my thumbs in no time.
I decided to chance my luck and shoot down to Supercheap to see if they were open. Not only were they open, but there was 20% off everything in store - so I went a little crazy and bought a whole heap of stuff. Including
Hands down, no questions the Dupli-colour paint is 1 million times better than the WhiteKnight stuff. Goes on easier, harder wearing, better nossle - just all round a better option.
Below are a few pics of the painting process.
I know its not the prettiest masking job that you have ever seen - but I used what I had laying around. A4 printer paper and garbage bags.
1st coat of primer on - I was seriously tempted to leave it this colour....
The black looks mint.
Water Pump - heaps of taping off ports and fiddly work.
umm - ignore the weeds.
Masking the heads for painting is a lot more involved. An hour sitting with a Stanley knife carefully cutting around all the ports and mounting surfaces to make sure you get a good seal. Its surprisingly easy but just takes tons of time.
All the spark plug ports were stuffed with rags as well
End result - STOKED
That the final result with the water pump mounted for visual effect.