PDA

View Full Version : Lowering coil problem

Dillons69
11-08-2007, 03:16 PM
Hi,
I am currently trying to lower my 69 camaro and having a few problems, firstly i went to local suspension place to see if you could buy lowering coils here in Australia he told me they are the same as Hq - Wb holden and said the lowered ( i assumed 1 1/2 - 2 inch ) coils should lower the camaro the same. Went home and fitted them they looked good and fitted o.k then i lowered the jack. SLAMMED :eek: would be the word to descripe the front of my camaro it lowered it nearly 3 1/2 inchs and sits roughly 23 1/2 inchs from ground to top of guard and has about 5 mils of bumber stop clearence. Looks cool :cool: but i dont think this is right. has anybody else lowered there camaro and have about the same height or what is a good height and is 5 mil clearence enough. HELP !!!!!!:confused:

69coupe
13-08-2007, 08:47 AM
Havent done yet but dead set interested in the result. Please keep us informed on which coil spring is the go ;)

69camaro
13-08-2007, 09:50 AM
Mine already had lowered springs in it but I replaced them when I re-built my front end. I used 2" drop HQ-WB style springs which dropped it about 3/4" further than what it previously was. I had about 10mm clearance on the bump stops so I cut a further 10mm off them to give me decent clearance.
I don't have too many troubles although I wouldn't like to hit a pot hole while turning a corner.... not much room between the tyre and the guard.
When I have the car apart for body and paint I think I will change the springs to get it sitting about 1/2" - 3/4" higher.

rodent
13-08-2007, 01:47 PM
Not to hijack, any of you guys looking for springs in Melbourne there is a great crowd in Lipton drv in Thomastown called Brown springs. They asked me what I wanted , I told them and they are spot on. Cost around $120 pair.

Dillons69
18-08-2007, 11:48 PM
I got a new set of coils today, this time i got a set of lowered big block coils still same brand, supposed to be the same lowered height as my lowered small block ones but with a stiffer rate and it done the trick i have about 15mm between the bumber stops and sits good, i am yet to cut the bumber stops but i will cut around 10mm as suggested just for a bit of insurance.
brand was pedders i will post some pics when all back together.

SirGeo
20-08-2007, 10:33 AM
Are you still using the stock spindals? or do you have the 2" drop ones?

Dillons69
20-08-2007, 01:25 PM
I am using stock spindles, considering drop spindles later down the track although on the usa camaro forums they dont give them a very good wrap.

SirGeo
20-08-2007, 03:11 PM
don't say that... :p

What did you order them under with pedders? Did you have to go through HQ-WB?

Dillons69
21-08-2007, 08:46 PM
the small block lowered had a part number 2084
the big block lowered had a part number 2090
they were listed under 69 Camaro but aslo had references to Hq - WB.
there was also a third set which was standard height Hq - Wb which would have sat 30mm higher than the first set i tried and 15mm higher than the big block. If you where using 2 inch drop spindles and the standard set of coils which i think would of lowered my car 1 inch would be a 3 inch total drop would be perfect. You would still have good clearences on bumber stops and a killer stance.

69camaro
22-08-2007, 02:18 PM
Hey Dillon,
Can you post some pics of the ride height before and after if you have them. Also what size rims and tyres?

SirGeo
22-08-2007, 02:35 PM
there was also a third set which was standard height Hq - Wb which would have sat 30mm higher than the first set i tried and 15mm higher than the big block. If you where using 2 inch drop spindles and the standard set of coils which i think would of lowered my car 1 inch would be a 3 inch total drop would be perfect. You would still have good clearences on bumber stops and a killer stance.

I know i've spoken to pedders before and they have nothing listed under 67-68 Camaro... Would it be safe to assume '69 would give the same difference?

Anyone know any better?

69camaro
22-08-2007, 04:22 PM
I know i've spoken to pedders before and they have nothing listed under 67-68 Camaro... Would it be safe to assume '69 would give the same difference?

Anyone know any better?

Steve, if you check the Pedders website they do actually list parts for 67- camaro. It's the part numbers that Dillon mentioned. The suspension geometry for 67 - 69 is the same so you will see the same relative difference between springs as what Dillon found. The only difference i'd be wary of is that 67 - 68 front guards have a different wheel arch to 69. Obviously it also depends on what wheels and tyres you're running.

69camaro
22-08-2007, 04:31 PM

http://www.pedders.com.au/catalogue
That 2090 part number is also listed under Holden HQ - HZ as a standard height Monaro front spring.