PDA

View Full Version : feedback on personal imports from US...

muggz
24-06-2007, 02:38 PM
Just want peoples personal experiences in bringing a car from the States and did customs, dotars etc give you strife in terms of paperwork and cleanliness of car?..

why i ask, im looking at bringing in another '58 caddy into OZ and im just drafting a letter to send to Dotars early week (apparently need 17 days grace to get approval) the guy selling the car is willing to load a container for me and get it shipped over so no problem there. car is located in Cal. pretty excited to get this and im just doing as much tech stuff done to save troubles in future :D

cheers,

Muggz

EAT-30T
24-06-2007, 07:16 PM
Just want peoples personal experiences in bringing a car from the States and did customs, dotars etc give you strife in terms of paperwork and cleanliness of car?..

why i ask, im looking at bringing in another '58 caddy into OZ and im just drafting a letter to send to Dotars early week (apparently need 17 days grace to get approval) the guy selling the car is willing to load a container for me and get it shipped over so no problem there. car is located in Cal. pretty excited to get this and im just doing as much tech stuff done to save troubles in future :D

cheers,

Muggz

Not Really.... all my import aprovals have been hassle free..

From memory all you need to supply them is all the Vin details cars current origin and birthplace etc and a bill of sale to the person who's importing the car.....

Its not too bad... Dotars just want your money.... LOL

PS where exactly is it?

I may be looking for a 59 Biscayne in the very near future... gotta love the 50's ... so much class :)

muggz
24-06-2007, 09:54 PM
yeah Kurt i have VIN number etc... im just waiting on purchase doc's from the seller, then ill send the application to dotars...as the car is obviously over 30 years old i only pay for GST... the car is in Napa, California... apparently about 40 mins drive north of San francisco. The Biscayne are so sweet rides http://www.driveline.net.au/gallery/2007/41/IMG_0485.jpg
http://www.driveline.net.au/gallery/2007/41/IMG_0484.jpg
this is a car locally here... very niiiiice

EAT-30T
25-06-2007, 10:35 AM
Cool...

Yeah NAPA isn't too far from San fran at all... where will you load it? Oakland?

muggz
25-06-2007, 04:16 PM
not sure.. the guy says he loads the containers at his shop.. i only assume a truck collects it and takes straight to port?? yet to be finalised :)

EAT-30T
25-06-2007, 05:08 PM
not sure.. the guy says he loads the containers at his shop.. i only assume a truck collects it and takes straight to port?? yet to be finalised :)

Cool keep me posted....

cluxford
25-06-2007, 05:35 PM
That 58 shown I have seen in build up...it is an awesome car...if I could own 50's chevy's it would be (in order):
55 2 door hardtop belair
58 2 door biscayne
57 2 door hardtop
(see a trend happening here)
59 El Camino

and I would pro street all of em.....

MrVette
27-06-2007, 01:23 PM
El Camino, now that would be nice. It should be higher on your list!