PDA

View Full Version : HI, Few questions about a camaro

Grumundi
12-09-2007, 06:26 PM
Hi There,

Just registered although i have been reading the forum for awhile just dreaming about a car.

Although I finally got my but into gear and sorted out some money and time to get my dream car. Im looking at a 67-69 Camaro, been in love with them since I was about 15 and there was a black one in a super chevy mag.

Anyway, few questions about the costs involved as im a computer nerd and dont really get involved to much in the mechanical side of things (I could, but never did before and now im to busy).

Im looking at getting a SS/RS or a Z28 (should I find a nice one), LHD is fine as im in queensland. With it being an older car, and going to be my everyday car, even though its parked most of the time, I still need it to work everytime. Im thinking worst case, what would the cost be involved if the engine / gearbox (auto) **** itself and I had to replace it?

I know they probably wont all go if i get a nice one and get it inspected before purchase, but I just dont want any surprises and want to make sure I budget for it. Im not completey out of the loop, my old man is/used to be a panel beater, so he's gonna give me advice on the body and paint work, and his mates a mechanic so should point me in the right direction.

And no offence to any sellers on the Gold Coast, but there are alot of imports here, and alot of dodgy people. What should I look out for, whats a fair price (i know that depends on alot), and worst case what can bugger up and have to be replaced.

Thanks for having a read.

Cheers,

Glen

anychevy
12-09-2007, 07:01 PM
The prices for 1st generation camaros are all over the place. It all depends on your budget ?
There's lots of stuff you need to know before you take the plunge, so check out
http://www.camaros.net/
A few months research can save you thousands $$$ and years of misery

Remember, everything can go and probably will go wrong eventually on a 40 year old car.

The only dealer/importer on the gold coast that's even worth talking to is Jim from
http://www.goldcoastmusclecars.com.au/index.php

Good luck

Grumundi
12-09-2007, 08:31 PM
Thanks I will check out that website,

Im looking to spend around the 50k mark, but in that would like abit of a fall back fund if something does go wrong.

I have had a look at a few of Jims cars, they seemed alittle exy compared to whats on carsales and ebay, Although I havent spoken to him, he could be negotiable on prices.

69camaro
12-09-2007, 10:43 PM
Having a budget is a good start and 50K is not a bad figure, though I doubt you will find a Z28 anywhere near that price. My advice would be look at as many cars as you can and read as much as you can so you know what is what and are very clear in your own mind what YOU want.
e.g. do you want period correct original or pro touring style like some of the guys on here or even a retro tech approach where it all looks original but has a modern drive line and updated suspension etc. Different strokes for different folkes.....
As far as costs.... well how long is a piece of string... is probably the appropriate answer. You can spend endless amounts depending on what you want the end result to be.
Having said that, small block chev parts are everywhere, numerous companies are now making repro parts for first gen camaros and some parts are the same as early holden. So parts are available and at a reasonable cost.

Goodluck ;)

EAT-30T
13-09-2007, 02:16 PM
Depends on the calibre of car you are after and willing to settle for.... I've see decent driver 69's for the $40-$50K 67-68 usually less by around $5K sometimes more but it depends on the car.....

My car will be for sale once completed for around the $60-70K mark....

anychevy
13-09-2007, 05:07 PM
I have had a look at a few of Jims cars, they seemed alittle exy compared to whats on carsales and ebay, Although I havent spoken to him, he could be negotiable on prices.

Everything looks good in a photo and if it dosen't ? There's photoshop, so don't buy a car sight unseen !
If you find a car for sale you like in the US, Get a reputable inspection service to check it out.
It's worth it !
Also if you join Team camaro, maybe some nice folk over there will check out a local car for you.
You really have to get more than one opinion if your not looking at it yourself !

Yes Jim's cars ARE expensive compared to what you see advertised, but remember he's a dealer, he's trying to make a living but at least he dosen't sell junk.

Dillons69
23-09-2007, 08:29 PM
Hi,
Jim from gold coast muscle cars is probably the best importer on the east coast, I agree you pay a bit more but the old story is you pay for what you get, He can also source a car in the states for you, I bought my 69 camaro from him.
cheers

EAT-30T
24-09-2007, 10:48 AM
the old story is you pay for what you get,

Aint that the truth..... I've seen some nasty sh*t out there... IMO a nice 1st gen is going to cost you upwards of $50K

69coupe
25-09-2007, 09:07 AM
Aint that the truth..... I've seen some nasty sh*t out there... IMO a nice 1st gen is going to cost you upwards of $50K

Seems to me you spend $50k at least for genuine "rust free" car or buy a runner for $30k and spend another $20k getting to "rust free" . This is happening to me :mad:
I knew the floor needed a patch but now turns up to be complete floor, boot floor, chassis rails and door sills
I guess option 2 guarantees "rust free" instead of trusting some B/S on the net.
If you are going to spend $50k you MUST do a personal inspection before buying ;)

EAT-30T
25-09-2007, 11:53 PM
Seems to me you spend $50k at least for genuine "rust free" car or buy a runner for $30k and spend another $20k getting to "rust free" . This is happening to me :mad:
I knew the floor needed a patch but now turns up to be complete floor, boot floor, chassis rails and door sills
I guess option 2 guarantees "rust free" instead of trusting some B/S on the net.
If you are going to spend $50k you MUST do a personal inspection before buying ;)

exactly... if your spending $50K you wouldn't be doin it sight un seen...