PDA

View Full Version : Voltmeter

69coupe
02-04-2007, 10:37 AM
Guys
What is the best place to connect a Voltmeter ?
Direct to the battery or is the ignition switch ok ? Also can the earth be thru the chassis or must it be conected to the source :confused:

SirGeo
02-04-2007, 03:19 PM
Negative I would go from a good chassis/motor connection.. It would give you a "truer" reading, as most of your accessories would be running of a chassis/body connection.. I doubt any are direct battery..

And the positive, anything with a constant mains connection :p

What's it for? A internal gauge or just an external check?

69coupe
02-04-2007, 03:34 PM
Have a pod of guages and the voltmeter is not connected.

SirGeo
02-04-2007, 03:57 PM
Me personally I would do what I recommended above… negative on a good chassis spot.. And positive of something connected direct to the battery.. Even the wire that goes from the alternator to the battery :p make sure you are getting an uninterrupted reading.. Although I don't think it would make a difference…

End of the day though, it's only there to read how much power your alternator is pushing to your battery, so it's reading how much active power is running through your car at any one time.
What do the instructions say?

Also is there an active/accessories wire? What is there to stop it working while the car is off?

In saying all this, I would only call myself a bit better than an amateur auto elec :p

SirGeo
02-04-2007, 04:03 PM
thinking about all that.. maybee hook the positive into somewhere in the ignition? i.e. the accessories.. where it's not active when the car is off...

P.S. here, done a quick search on Autometer for a wiring diagram for ya..

http://www.autometer.com/productPDF/235D.pdf

Hope it helps :p