PDA

View Full Version : going old school

cluxford
13-05-2013, 01:38 PM
OK, so I've has the 3 circuit 4500 for 2.5 years now, never touched it since it went on the car.

It runs like a pig, fouls plugs, runs rich, backfires and generally sticks up the car.

Possibly done some engine damage

I've been a bit intimidated by the 3 circuit 4500, I've read lots about how they run rich and are hard to tune and not suited to a street car.

Plan was always tunnel ram or blower. Still might be but pouring money into a new business venture so won't be doing that anytime soon...

As such have decided to take a serious stab at getting the 3 circuit right. Arming myself up with info at this stage (and some tools)

Primary tools of choice will be the trusty old Vacuum gauge. Been many years since I really have had a need to use one, but they are always a good approach. Got taught how to use one and read one years ago, but can't remember all the readings have got myself back up to speed.

AF Meter, may not need one but given the issue with 3 circuit carbs are too rich and idle and to lean at WOT I think this will be worthwhile, But damn these things are expensive, also don't want to weld in a bung, have got an exhaust probe that FAST supply that will work

then load up on tuning kits (jets, IFR air bleeds and PV's).

Having read heaps over the past few weeks on 4500's the too rich at idle, too lean at WOT are issues that take a lot of tuning to rectify but it is possible.

Will keep this thread updated as I go.

Will be several weeks off as don't have the kits or AF meter yet, and have several weeks of "live" limiting car time

RAW454
13-05-2013, 01:56 PM
Good on ya Chris. Can't help but ask... any reason don't want somebody else to tune it for you?

I'm assuming is because of the satisfaction / tinkering / education benefits, but also know how busy you are... ;)

stanger
13-05-2013, 02:38 PM
Good on ya Chris. Can't help but ask... any reason don't want somebody else to tune it for you?

I'm assuming is because of the satisfaction / tinkering / education benefits, but also know how busy you are... ;)

Not sure if you have a Dominator or an Ultra Dominator, but heres a tuning guide for the street from car craft. I think with the ultra you have billet metering blocks and can easily change some of the idle and air jets. But this article may get you on the right path as a start.
http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles/ccrp_0603_run_a_dominator_on_the_street/viewall.html

cluxford
13-05-2013, 02:43 PM

Educational Deano, don't like it when something gets the better of me and I've been putting this off saying I would change it out as it was never really a long term plan...but with new venture I can't see it coming off in a while, so I'm not going to miss the opportunity to learn something new...

---------- Post added at 02:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:43 PM ----------

Not sure if you have a Dominator or an Ultra Dominator, but heres a tuning guide for the street from car craft. I think with the ultra you have billet metering blocks and can easily change some of the idle and air jets. But this article may get you on the right path as a start.
http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles/ccrp_0603_run_a_dominator_on_the_street/viewall.html

Thanks mate, yeah seen that article

69coupe
14-05-2013, 06:27 AM
Chris
To sort out a carb properly I reckon you need the car or engine on a dyno. Only way to read plugs correctly and assure your not leaning out in the top end. I believe you can do the low end speeds and idle without

cluxford
14-05-2013, 06:30 AM
Yep 100% agree Peter, going to get idle sorted first, and at least test A/F at higher revs, then throw it on the dyno for WOT setting.

Just want to go back to basics, reset the timing, change all plugs and leads, baseline it and work from there